A man was walking along a deserted beach at sunset. As he walked he could see a young boy in the distance, as he drew nearer he noticed that the boy kept bending down, picking something up and throwing it into the water.
Time and again he kept hurling things into the ocean.
As the man approached even closer, he was able to see that the boy was picking up starfish that had been washed up on the beach and, one at a time he was throwing them back into the water.
The man asked the boy what he was doing, the boy replied,"I am throwing these washed up starfish back into the ocean, or else they will die through lack of oxygen. "But", said the man, "You can't possibly save them all, there are thousands on this beach, and this must be happening on hundreds of beaches along the coast. You can't possibly make a difference."
The boy looked down, frowning for a moment; then bent down to pick up another starfish, smiling as he threw it back into the sea. He replied,
"I made a huge difference to that one!"
The artwork is a spirit box (the detail shown above) designed by Adele Sanborn. I contacted Adele to get permission to photograph and use the box for the event. Adele is a NH artist and long-time member of the League of NH Craftsmen. She is a talented calligrapher who makes handmade books. Adele began designing these spirit boxes to house the books. Learn more about Adele Sanborn's beautiful artwork on her website: www.cornerstonedesignnh.com
Here is a list of resources and related links from my presentations:
SACRED CIRCLES AND MANDALAS
- See my blog post HERE with lots of ideas on mandala making and a video on how to draw mandalas.
- See my blog post HERE about the "walking a labyrinth" journal exercise.
- Natural Mandalas: 30 New Meditations to Help You Find Peace and Awareness in the Beauty of Nature
- Mystical Mandala Coloring Book (Dover Design Coloring Books)
- See my blog post HERE about making crosses.
- Making Crosses: A Creative Connection to God (Active Prayer Series)
- The Prayer Box: Create, Write, and Live Your Prayers
- Praying in Color: Drawing a New Path to God (Active Prayer Series)
I had a wonderful time at the retreat. It was so lovely to get out from behind the computer and have the opportunity to share my love for creativity. I felt so welcomed and energized by the response to my presentations.
With Brightest Blessings,
Kathryn Costa, Collage Diva